I ran out of butter yesterday but it didn't stop me from making cupcakes this morning! I love a good challenge. And these didn't disappoint. I had to chill them in order to cool them enough to frost so the wrappers stuck a little. Anyone have a solution to that?
Anyway, here is the recipe for these butter-free cupcakes:
Makes 12 cupcakes.
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda (I accidentally omitted this - turned out fine. :) )
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup fat-free plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup skim milk (I used 2%)
- 4 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
InstructionsPreheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Mix dry and wet ingredients separately, then stir just until combined. **Don't use cupcake liners if possible, the cake will stick to the paper and make it pretty tough to come off** Line a 12-cup muffin tin with cupcake papers or spray with nonstick zero-calorie spray, fill each cup 2/3 full with batter. Bake 18- 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center of one of the cupcakes comes out clean.