Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Butter free cupcakes, Yum!

So I made my first batch of butter free cupcakes this morning. I had a lunch appointment with some friends of mine and they requested a tasty dessert. Okay, they really wanted the apple pie cupcakes but I didn't have the time this morning to make them. :( Oh well, I guess a second visit is in store later this month. I loved seeing my friends today, some were surprised to see me but that made it all the more fun! :)

I ran out of butter yesterday but it didn't stop me from making cupcakes this morning! I love a good challenge. And these didn't disappoint. I had to chill them in order to cool them enough to frost so the wrappers stuck a little. Anyone have a solution to that?

Anyway, here is the recipe for these butter-free cupcakes:

Ingredients 

Makes 12 cupcakes.

  • 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
  • 3/4 cup white sugar
  • 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda (I accidentally omitted this - turned out fine. :) )
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2/3 cup fat-free plain yogurt
  • 1/2 cup skim milk (I used 2%)
  • 4 egg whites
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Instructions

Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Mix dry and wet ingredients separately, then stir just until combined. **Don't use cupcake liners if possible, the cake will stick to the paper and make it pretty tough to come off** Line a 12-cup muffin tin with cupcake papers or spray with nonstick zero-calorie spray, fill each cup 2/3 full with batter. Bake 18- 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center of one of the cupcakes comes out clean.

Enjoy!
 

Midwestern Girl | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates