Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Apple Squares

Today I made some Apple Squares. I needed to bake something that I knew would be good and sweet. I spent the morning making more wheat thins and trying a new recipe for whole wheat pita pockets. I now know how long it will take to heat up my oven to 500 degrees and man it's a long while! Also found out it's not calibrated right with my new oven thermometer. You gotta have one of these if you're baking or cooking a lot. It's awesome, well only if it would stay put on the oven rack. Maybe Bike Boy could build me a small little contraption to hold it. Hmmm. He's already got one project going though, I think I might need to suffer for a bit. That darn thing tips over at the slightest movement. UGH. Maybe just maybe if I'm irritated enough...

Tomorrow I'm making cookies for the 12 weeks of cookies. I can't wait to make these little darlings! These darlings have two of my favorite things involved. Any guesses? Look for that post Friday morning.

3 comments:

  1. I'll be baking along too. I'm guessing your pick has chocolate and peanut butter. Can't wait to find out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The apple squares look yummy, you need to post the recipe. :) Can't wait to see what cookie you bake!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lisa- We'll see tomorrow but I see you have been reading my posts! :) Ha!

    April - here is the recipe for the apple squares. I found the recipe on allrecipes.com and tweaked it for us.
    1 cup sifted all-purpose flour
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted (on the stove!)
    1/2 cup packed brown sugar
    1/2 cup white sugar
    1 egg
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    3/4 cup to 1 cup chopped apple, I used two gala apples and measured from there.
    Topping:
    2 tablespoons white sugar
    2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

    1.Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9x9 inch pan.
    2. Sift together flour, baking powder, salt, and 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon; set aside.
    3. Melt butter on stovetop.
    4. In a large bowl, mix together melted butter, brown sugar, and 1/2 cup of white sugar with a wooden spoon until smooth.
    5.Stir in the egg and vanilla. Blend in the flour mixture until just combined, then stir in the apples.
    6. Spread the mixture evenly into the prepared pan.
    7. In a cup or small bowl, stir together the remaining cinnamon and sugar; sprinkle over the top of the bars. I also think you could use a dash of nutmeg to this mixture would add an amazing flavor.
    8. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes in preheated oven; finished bars should spring back when lightly touched. If you insert a toothpick in the middle, it won't be completely clean. So use the touch "measurement."

    Let cool and enjoy! Bike Boy initially thought they were more like a cookie but they are more like a cake with lots of apple chunks. Use less apples if you want more of the cake texture with minimal apple chunks.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you!

 

Midwestern Girl | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates