Friday, September 24, 2010

Chocolate Chip Cookies

In my quest for a thick and chewy chocolate chip cookie recipe, there were cookie failures galore. I actually had to throw away about 3 dozen cookies because I couldn't get them off the pan! They deflated as soon as the air hit them. These are not that recipe but that failure spawned a day of baking. I was determined to have chocolate chip cookies in this house. So I called my mom. Now, my grandmother was the baker in our family. My mom claims that I have her talents and it skipped her. However she has baked all her life and she must have some knowledge, right? Turns out, you should NEVER try to get butter room temp by putting the sticks in the microwave for 10 seconds. They cause the dough to spread. I think there was a lot more wrong with the original recipe but that was a big one. Just thought I'd share.

So we talked and came up with a recipe that I tried. Turned out a bit too cake-like and didn't spread at all. But they were edible. Yay! Onto the third (THIRD!) version. Bike Boy IM'ed me and asked how it was going and pointed me to some cooking websites explaining fats and how they work in baking. What can I say, Bike Boy IS an engineer. Problems are always solved by Google. Gotta love him. And Google.

So I created this recipe from the original failure and the second recipe my mom and I came up with. It was Bike Boy's favorite. He just had to compare the recipes and cookies.



Chocolate Chip Cookies
recipe by: Midwestern Girl w/a Texas Address

1 1/2 cups of all purpose flour
1 cup of cake flour
1 teaspoon of baking soda
1/4 teaspoon of baking powder



1 1/2 sticks of unsalted butter, room temperature
3/4 cup of granulated sugar
1/4 cup of packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon of salt
1 1/2 teaspoons of vanilla
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons of honey
1 cup of chocolate chips

  1. Preheat oven to 350
  2. Whisk together flours, baking soda, and baking powder. Set aside.
  3. Cream butter and sugars until fluffy.
  4. Add eggs, salt, vanilla, and honey. Beat well.
  5. Add flour mixture about 1/2 cup at time. Beat well after each incorporation of flour.
  6. Fold in chocolate chips.
  7. Drop rounded teaspoonfuls of dough onto an ungreased cookie sheet about 2 inches apart.
  8. Bake at 350 for about 11 minutes until the edges of cookies are light golden brown. 
  9. Immediately remove from cookie sheet and transfer to a wire rack to cool.
 

Midwestern Girl | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates