Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Wheat Thins

I love wheat thins. Bike Boy loves wheat thins. I hate the price. They have gotten so expensive. I had some time today and I thought why not? I need to get over the pretzel fiasco and keep trying new things. And this thing could save me money at the grocery store! How could I refuse?
I popped over to Finding Joy in my Kitchen and found that she had tried to make wheat thins. I was excited to see that and the recipe was so simple and easy. I couldn't screw that up, could I?

Here is the recipe:

Wheat Thins - from Finding Joy in my Kitchen
1 1/4 C whole wheat flour
1 T honey
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. paprika
2-3 T butter, melted (I used 3 tbsp)
1/4 C water
<1/4 tsp. vanilla (I used very little vanilla - a drop or two, didn't want them to have too much vanilla)

Combine the dry ingredients together, and then add in the honey, water, butter, and vanilla. Knead ingredients together until dough forms. Take the dough out of the mixer bowl and roll it out to about 1/8" thick. You want them to be as thin as possible. So really get in there and roll out the dough. Use those elbows! Work those biceps! Ok now that we have done our workout for the day, lay out the dough on a pan and cut into squares. I have a Pampered Chef rectangular sheet pan that I used. I just rolled the dough out on the pan and cut them into squares using a pizza cutter. Sprinkle salt on top of the dough.
Bake at 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes until crispy. Don't let them get too crispy because they will continue baking for a short time after you take them out of the oven.

3 comments:

  1. So I cooked them a bit longer than stated and they really do taste like wheat thins. Make sure you cook them until crispy though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you gave them a try and enjoyed them -- I too was surprised at how much they actually tasted like the real deal!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made them again yesterday and made some adjustments that helped. I increased the salt to a teaspoon and upped the paprika to 1 teaspoon too. I cooked them longer this time and they turned out awesome. Hubby couldn't stop eating them when he got home! A sign of a good recipe, huh? :) Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you!

 

Midwestern Girl | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates