Friday, October 1, 2010

12 Weeks of Cookies Week 1 - Puff Pastry Raviolis

Peanut Butter and Chocolate Pastry Raviolis
First week out of the gate and I am challenging myself. I'm usually a drop cookie kind of girl so these are definitely new for me. I have never used puff pastry before and I saw this recipe over at Joy The Baker and thought I would try these wonderful little goodies for my cookie tray. It tastes like a peanut butter and chocolate ravioli. What more could one want? Pastry, peanut butter, chocolate? I'm in heaven just thinking about these.

The lineup. :) Can't get more simple than puff pastry, peanut butter, and chocolate.
First I cut the pastry dough into fourths. Fold the pastry in half, cut that. And than cut in half again.
Stack together and cut into pieces. My pieces ended up being a bit big so you can definitely cut them smaller. Just make sure you have enough room for the goodies inside!
Separate the squares lay them side by side matching the squares as closely as possible.
Fill half the squares with a teaspoon of peanut butter and about 5 chocolate chips. Dampen the edges with water and place another pastry square on top.

Crimp the edges with a fork and transfer to a foil lined and greased cookie sheet. Bake at 400 degrees for 8 -12 minutes until lightly golden brown.
Yummy! :)
Full recipe after the jump.





Recipe for Chocolate and Peanut Butter Pastry Raviolis

1 sheet puff pastry, thawed and rolled out just slightly
1/4 cup peanut butter (I'm guessing here - I just took about a half teaspoonful for each ravioli
1/4 cup chocolate chips (same thing as chocolate - I prefer a higher ratio of chocolate to peanut butter so I used more chips)
water for brushing the edges of the pastry
milk for brushing the tops of the pastries before baking / You can also use an egg wash (one beaten egg with a teaspoon of water)
granulated sugar for sprinkling on top of the pastry
  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
  2. Thaw frozen puff pastry in the the fridge. When no longer frozen gently roll out puff pastry on a well floured surface.
  3. Fold the puff pastry in half to create a crease. Cut along the crease with a pizza slicer to divide the puff pastry in half. Stack the two halves, then slice the pastry into two sheets of 16 even squares. 4x4 (length and width) or you can make 18 even squares. Either way is totally cool. Remove the top squares from the bottom squares and set them aside for later.
  4. Using a small spoon, dollop a small amount (about a heaping 1/2 teaspoon) of peanut butter into the center of 18 of the puff pastry squares.  Top each mound of peanut butter with about 6 chocolate chips.
  5. Using your finger (or a pastry brush but I prefer to get a little messy with my food) dampen the edges of each square with a bit of water.  
  6. Top each square with another pastry square and use a fork to crimp and seal the edges of the pastry.  Make sure the edges are well sealed.
  7. Place filled and sealed pastry squares on a foil lined and lightly greased baking sheet.  Brush each square with milk or egg mixture and sprinkle with granulated sugar.
  8. Bake the squares for 8 to 12 minutes or until they are perfectly golden.

19 comments:

  1. These look simple, quick and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice and easy and oh so yummy looking! I would have never thought of this-- thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! These look great!! Thanks for posting them...I can't wait to try them!!!

    Blessings~
    ~H

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a creative little idea. So easy yet so delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh man!!! cookies pretending to be pasta! I'm all ofr that! I think that kills two cravings (carbs and sweets) with one stone

    ReplyDelete
  6. Next time I'm going to drizzle melted chocolate on the tops of them. Making it a little more decadent. Ha! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. These would be dangerous for me. LOVE puff pastry, love pb, LOVE chocolate. But they do seem fun to make for a Christmas tray addition and simple!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A friend of mine suggested that you make a chocolate dip (ganache) on the side to dip the cookies in. I thought it was a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, the cookies on one side and the chocolate on the other. The world always needs more cookies and chocolate. I'm going to go look in my kitchen now and see if I have any sweets. Suddenly I'm hungry.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my gosh - what a treat! I mean, you're right - how can you go wrong with those ingredients!

    Can't wait to see what else we come up with during the next twelve weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! I am not sure I could make these but just seeing your pictures has inspired me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks good. I could go for one of those right now.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great cookie, and so dang easy. I LOVE it! Sometimes you need a quick, easy, tasty cookie and you found it!
    I want one, two, oh ok, I want a dozen!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Simple and delicious! I mean, you can't go wrong with chocolate and peanut butter. Especially when it's wrapped in flaky, buttery pastry. MMM!

    ReplyDelete
  15. How fun are these!! Quick and easy too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is fantastic. I have been playing with wonton wrapers to make cookies. I want to try using them with the chocolate-PB combination. Thanks for the inspiration.

    You did such a good job with these. You are way past drop cookies although I do love those too.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you!

 

Midwestern Girl | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates