Friday, October 8, 2010

12 weeks of Cookies Week 2 - Cinnamon Roll Cookies

It's 12 weeks of cookie time again!


This week's cookie is a new one for me, cinnamon rolls in cookie form. Yum. These cookies weren't without their adventures to say the least. I felt like Goldilocks all day; the first recipe was too dry and spread too much, the second recipe was too runny and wouldn't set properly. Finally, I found the coveted third recipe that saved this cookie idea. :) But not without some tears and refusing to make dinner that night so I didn't have to be in the kitchen. Some days are just like that I suppose.


Cinnamon Roll Cookies
adapted from Taste of Home November 2010, Picky Palate, and The Girl Who Ate Everything

Ingredients:
(sugar cookie recipe from Joy of Baking)
  • 3 cups of all purpose flour
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • tsp baking soda
  • 1 cup unsalted butter, room temp
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • 2 tsp vanilla extract
Filling:
  • 1 tbsp butter, softened
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
Topping:
  • Favorite cream cheese frosting
  • Melted white chocolate
  • Powered sugar icing
Directions:
  • In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, salt, and baking soda.
  • Cream butter and sugar together until fluffy.
  • Add eggs and vanilla and beat until combined.
  • Add flour mixture slowly, beating until a smooth dough forms.
  • Divide the dough into two discs and chill until firm (1-2 hours).
  • Divide the dough discs into thirds (you'll have 6 ovals at the finish)
  • Roll chilled dough into ovals about 1/8 inch thick. 
  • Spread softened butter onto the dough. Combine the brown sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle on top of the butter.
  • Roll the dough into a log. Wrap with saran wrap and chill for about an hour.
  • Preheat oven to 350. Slice logs into 1/2 inch slices and place on parchment lined baking sheets.
  • Bake for 8-10 minutes. Let sit on baking sheet for 5 minutes after taking out of the oven. Transfer to a wire rack to cool and enjoy!



Post linked to I'm Lovin It


18 comments:

  1. Third times a charm! They look awesome!!! Love the new blog design too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was thinking exactly what April said - third time's a charm! They turned out great - I would have given up after the second batch LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I almost did give up after the second batch. I had some frozen some sugar cookie dough in the freezer and thought I might try that as a last ditch effort. Luckily, it worked because I was not about to put a picture of the first batch on the web! Although, hubby enjoyed all of the cookies immensely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I'm glad your cookies finally turned out "just right!" What a trooper! I love cinnamon rolls, so I'm sure I would love these! They look beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for finding the perfect cinnamon roll cookie recipe. I've been wanting to make them too but also worried about whether the dough would come out right. Now, thanks to you, all the guesswork is gone. I'll just make yours.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had to laugh about you refusing to make dinner. I have soo been there myself and my husband sometimes wonders aloud why in the world I like baking so much when it seems to frustrate me to no end.

    ReplyDelete
  7. They are beautiful and absolutely delicious looking!!!

    www.makingmemorieswithyourkids.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad you persevered - these look incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've had days when nothing works out and I swear I'll never bake/cook again.

    Of course, a few hours later, there I am - back in the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  10. these look like they were rolled to perfection. I am glad u stuck with it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the encouragement about sticking with it! I knew I could make these cookies and it finally happened. :) I do have to say the failure was still tasty they just wouldn't stay together after you picked them up. Crumbled right in your hands.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My 7 year old daughter and I think these cookies look delicious. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

    Blessings~
    ~H

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glad you got them to work, they sure look great!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good thing you persevered. Your cookies look great!

    ReplyDelete
  15. They look so pretty! I love cinnamon!

    ReplyDelete
  16. So cute! I did a similar cookie and it was... adventurous as well. Roll cookies like this are so finicky!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've seen the cinnamon roll cookies pop up a few times lately... I've been wanting to give them a try. Yours look great!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh how I need one of these right now!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you!

 

Midwestern Girl | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates