Friday, October 15, 2010

12 weeks of Cookies Week 3 - Mint Oreos

It's been ages since I have had an Oreo cookie and I recently saw Bridget's post (http://bakeat350.blogspot.com/2010/09/homemade-oreos-oh-yes.html) about how she made them recently and thought that would be fun and different. But I added a little something extra to my filling that I think gives the cookies a real pop: Andes Mints. I love Andes Mints. Yummy.

The 12 weeks of cookies has broadened my recipe box and encouraged me to make different cookies each week. By now, I think I'm pretty popular over at Bike Boy's office. :)

Who can resist an Oreo cookie? Especially one with Andes mint filling.

Homemade Oreos
adapted from Bake at 350
2 1/2 c all purpose flour
1/2 c cocoa powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 c unsalted butter
1 c sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla

Filling

1 tsp plus heaping 1/4 tsp of unflavored gelatin
2 tbsp cold water
1/2 c shortening
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 c Andes mints, chopped
2 1/2 c powdered sugar

  • Whisk together flour, cocoa, salt, and soda. Set aside.
  • Cream together butter and sugar. Beat until fluffy.
  • Add egg and vanilla. Beat well.
  • Add flour mixture 1/2 cup at a time.
  • Form dough into a disc, wrap with saran wrap, and chill for 1 -2 hours.
  • When chilled, roll out cookies and cut with desired cookie cutter. I actually used a biscuit cutter.
  • Bake at 350 for 9 minutes and let cool.

While cookies are cooling, you can make the filling:
  • Combine the gelatin and cold water in a small cup or bowl. Place cup in larger bowl of hot water and leave there until the gelatin is completely dissolved and liquid transparent.
  • Remove the cup from the hot water and cool to room temperature but hasn't begun to set, about 4-5 minutes.
  • Meanwhile, cream the shortening until fluffy. Beat in vanilla and Andes mints.
  • Add powdered sugar about 1/2 cup at a time, beating until the mixture comes together. Scrape the sides of the bowl as needed.
  • Beat in the gelatin.
Assembling the cookies:
Flip the cookie over. Make a teaspoon size ball of filling and flatten it out on the cookie. Top with another cookie and voila homemade oreos! 
I imprinted some with a small cookie cutter before baking.


Linked to I'm Lovin It

27 comments:

  1. Lovely! I haven't been buying oreo cookies since I realized they (like many other) were made with high fructose corn syrup, so it would be nice to make them at home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look wonderful! I definitely need to try these at home. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE the look of your cookies! The addition of Andes mints was a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I couldn't, wouldn't resist! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Andes mints pair well with the chocolate of the cookies. Make sure you don't go too overboard on the mints though! I added a little at a time til I got the flavor I wanted.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look great! Its been a while since I made any "oreos"...maybe its time to, again. Love the idea of mint in them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You had me at the word mint. These sound like the grasshopper cookies I enjoyed so much as a kid. Andes filling, in an Oreo, mmmmm, I'm in heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  8. They look fantastic! And with a mint center? TOO YUMMY!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like we were both having a minty week! Must be a Texas thing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. The andes filling is such a stroke of genius! Ur cookies look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Sue
    Thanks, Sue! I just had some Andes mints lying around and thought why not? They looked festive to me!

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Megan
    I had a hard time resisting too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. @Pam
    I have wanting to do something with the Andes mints for a while now and I thought this might be the cookie to try it with! Luckily, it turned out great. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. @Lisa
    I remember grasshopper cookies too, Lisa. These cookies are definitely a keeper in my recipe book.

    ReplyDelete
  15. @Erin
    Thanks, Erin! They were definitely delicious, two thumbs up from Bike Boy's co-workers.

    ReplyDelete
  16. @crustabakes
    Thanks! I almost thought the filling was too much mint but it worked out perfectly. Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  17. @Megan
    Yummy indeed. :) I ate wayyyyyy too many of them yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I always wanted to make my own oreos cookies! (Here in Brazil we don't have it! But I still have the taste in my mouth since my exchange program in 2008). Now I have a good recipe to try!
    Thank you Tracy for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I saw these too, and have them on my list to make! They look great!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Those look yummy! I can only imagine how good they were with the Andes mints. MMM!

    ReplyDelete
  21. @Manu
    You're welcome! They were really easy to make.

    ReplyDelete
  22. @April
    Thanks, April! I was curious about using gelatin in the filling since I have never down that before. But it was really easy to use and easy to make.

    ReplyDelete
  23. @amanda @ fake ginger They were pretty yummy if I do say so myself. :)

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you!

 

Midwestern Girl | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates