Growing up in the Midwest, I grew up with vinegar based sauces and pretty mild flavors. Here in Texas, black pepper rules the sauces I love. So I thought I would marry the flavors in my own sauce. It's a peppery vinegar and tomato based sauce that I thickened a bit with cornstarch. Hopefully Bike Boy will like it as well.
I think I'll have some chicken nuggets for lunch today with my new sauce.
- 3 tbsp butter, unsalted
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup (8 oz) tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup ketchup or a few squirts
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tsp liquid smoke
- 2 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/8 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp cornstarch
- In a sauce pan, melt butter over medium heat. Add onions and saute until golden brown, about 4-6 minutes.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients.
- Reduce the heat to low and cook until the mixture thickens, about 20-25 minutes.
- Use the sauce war. It keeps, refrigerated, for a couple of weeks.