Thursday, October 21, 2010

BBQ Sauce

Something totally new for me today. And it was so easy to make! Who knew making BBQ sauce would be pretty easy to do. I'm definitely gonna need to make this again trying new spices and sauce combinations.

Growing up in the Midwest, I grew up with vinegar based sauces and pretty mild flavors. Here in Texas, black pepper rules the sauces I love. So I thought I would marry the flavors in my own sauce. It's a peppery vinegar and tomato based sauce that I thickened a bit with cornstarch. Hopefully Bike Boy will like it as well.

I think I'll have some chicken nuggets for lunch today with my new sauce.


Ingredients:
  • 3 tbsp butter, unsalted
  • 1/4 cup diced onion
  • 1 cup white vinegar
  • 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
  • 1 cup (8 oz) tomato sauce
  • 1/4 cup ketchup or a few squirts
  • 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
  • 1/2 tsp liquid smoke
  • 2 1/2 tsp sugar
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
  • 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
  • 1/4 tsp paprika
  • 1/8 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/4 tsp cornstarch

  • In a sauce pan, melt butter over medium heat. Add onions and saute until golden brown, about 4-6 minutes. 
  • Stir in the remaining ingredients.
  • Reduce the heat to low and cook until the mixture thickens, about 20-25 minutes. 
  • Use the sauce war. It keeps, refrigerated, for a couple of weeks.

 

Midwestern Girl | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates