Sunday, October 3, 2010

Fluffy Whole Wheat Rolls

Mmmm...yummy. I love me some carbs, especially in the fall when Bike Boy makes his chili. Heaven.

I made my first attempt at homemade bread and I am so glad this is the recipe I tried. They were light and fluffy and delicious. One caveat though, don't go shopping while they are rising in the muffin tins, we came back and they had almost popped out of the pan! Bike Boy and I had a good laugh at that. I think they are supposed to do that but I can't be sure. Let me know if someone makes these and doesn't go on a short shopping trip.

I think I'll make these at Thanksgiving too... just an idea. Okay back to the recipe.

Whole Wheat Rolls
adapted from allrecipes.com

Ingredients:
1 package of active dry yeast (or 2 and 1/4 teaspoons - I have a small bottle of yeast so I need the calculation)
3/4 cup and 2 tablespoons of warm water (110 degrees)
1/4 cup of sugar
1/2 teaspoon of salt
2 tablespoons of melted butter (melt on the stove)
1/2 egg, beaten
1 cup and 2 tablespoons of whole wheat flour
1 1/4 cup of all purpose flour

2 tablespoons melted butter
  1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in the warm water. Let stand until creamy, about 10 minutes.
  2. Mix sugar, salt, melted butter, egg, and whole wheat flour into yeast mixture. Stir in all purpose flour 1/2 cup at a time, until dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl.
  3. Knead dough for about 8 minutes. I just used my dough hook attachment on my mixer and let it go for the allotted time. 
  4. Lightly oil a separate bowl, place dough in bowl and turn to coat. Cover with damp cloth and let it rise in a warm place until doubled in volume, about an hour. 
  5. Punch down dough, recover, and let rise in warm place until doubled in size again, about 30 minutes.
  6. Grease a muffin tin. Punch down dough and roll into a 7x12 rectangle. Cut the dough in fourths and each of the fourths in thirds. You should have 12 slim pieces of dough. 
  7. Take each piece of dough and roll up into spirals and place into greased muffin tins.
  8. Let rise uncovered in warm place for 40 minutes. They will look large, it's okay!
  9. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven and brush with melted butter.

3 comments:

  1. I'm like you. I'm carb-crazy. I'd take a good piece of homemade bread over a cookie/cake any day. At least your dough rose, lol. That's certainly better than it not rising at all, which is always my fear when I make homemade bread. So far, this has been my go-to recipe for rolls, http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2010/02/tyler-florences-parker-house-rolls.html, but I'll have to try yours because they look great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the compliment, Lisa! They are super fluffy and light! My friend commented that they look like mini ice cream cones. ha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmm, these look like a great Thanksgiving roll!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you!

 

Midwestern Girl | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates