Sunday, October 24, 2010

Outdoor cooking

My new cast iron skillet!

Don't you just love cornbread made with Jiffy mix? We always had Jiffy mixes growing up. Definitely a staple in my mother's pantry.
I used to eat so many of the blueberry muffins. And the cornbread. It's just perfect. Even when the bottom is charred...


Okay, I'll tell you the story of my weekend. Yesterday, I decided to clean the oven. I don't know what possessed me but I did it and it was so not fun. Cleaning up is really one of the downsides of cooking and baking. And apparently fume free oven cleaner doesn't mean fume free. The oven still had fumes 24 hours later! As I was preheating the oven, I heard this weird noise coming from the oven. Uh-oh. White smoke like things were coming up from the boiler. And the smell was not usual to say the least.

I was not cooking my cornbread in that oven. At least not that second. We were smoking some brisket in the smoker and Bike Boy noted that the grill side can get up to 400 degrees. Could we cook it there? Sure, why not? Except for the nice pretty grill lines on my new cast iron skillet and the charred bottoms of my cornbread, it was a success. Man, I love Jiffy cornbread. But I think I'll stick to the oven.

Pictures of the beautiful brisket Bike Boy smoked this weekend. It was mighty tasty!




2 comments:

  1. Yum, cornbread in a cast iron skillet. I've heard that this always gives good results. One of these days, I'll have to buy myself one of those. That's great that the outdoor cooking idea paid off, though, I'm like you (I'll take the oven any day).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have wanted a cast iron skillet for a while now and I noticed that the outdoor/sports store we were at yesterday had them. I have heard really good things about the Lodge brand. I got a 10" inch cast iron skillet for about 15 bucks. Can't beat that deal!:)

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you!

 

Midwestern Girl | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates