Cranberry Shortbread Bars
adapted from Joy of Baking
- 8 oz. fresh cranberries
- 2/3 c granulated sugar (3/4 c if you like the cranberries less tart)
- 3 tbsp water
- orange zest (I used the zest of half an orange)
- 2 c flour
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 c unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/3 c brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 small bars white chocolate
- 1/4 tsp shortening
- Preheat oven to 375 and place rack in the middle of the oven. Grease 9" pan with butter or cooking spray.
- Make cranberry filling.
- In a medium saucepan, place all ingredients in pan.
- Then, over medium high heat, cook ingredients until boiling.
- Continue to boil until it becomes thick and syrupy, roughly 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let cool while you prepare the shortbread.
- In a separate bowl, whisk flour, cornstarch, and salt.
- In a stand mixer, cream butter until smooth.
- Add sugar and beat until smooth.
- Beat in vanilla extract.
- Gently stir in flour mixture until just incorporated.
- Evenly press two thirds of the shortbread dough into the bottom of the prepared pan.
- Then evenly spread the cranberry mixture oven the shortbread, leaving 1/4" border.
- With remaining shortbread, crumble it over the filling. Lightly press into dough.
- Bake at 375 for 30 minutes or until top is golden brown.
- Remove, and place on wire rack to cool. While still hot, cut into 16 squares. Allow to cool.
- After the bars are cooled, melt white chocolate and shortening until smooth.
- Microwave for 30 sec, stir, microwave for 20 sec, and stir. Drizzle over bars.
Post Linked Up to I'm Lovin It Fridays
Let's see what wonderful treats the other bakers are baking this week: