Monday, November 15, 2010

Pecan Pie

Can you tell I was playing in my photo editor yesterday? 
Earlier I posted about my grandmother's pie crust and how I would be using it to make my Thanksgiving pies. I have a confession to make. I didn't use it for this wonderful pie. I used an all butter crust and made it in my food processor. The crust was beautiful and didn't burn during the entire time the pecan pie was baking. Considering how long this pie baked in the oven, that was pretty impressive. I have to say the crust was good; it didn't overpower the pie filling but it wasn't the same as Grandma's.

I have a couple of reasons why I'll be making this again.
  1. I have a GIANT bag of fresh pecans in my pantry from Sam's that I need to use.
  2. This pie is pretty darn good.
  3. I want to try it with Bourbon. Sounds like just the thing for Christmas. 

Pecan Pie Filling
adapted from Pioneer Woman

Ingredients:
  • I c white sugar
  • 3 tbsp brown sugar
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 c corn syrup (I used light corn syrup)
  • 3/4 tsp vanilla
  • 1/3 c melted butter
  • 3 whole eggs, beaten
  • 1 1/4 c chopped pecans (she called for 1 cup)
Directions for Filling:
  • Preheat oven to 350
  • Mix sugar, brown sugar, salt, corn syrup, butter, eggs, and vanilla together in a bowl. Stir until well combined.
  • Pour chopped pecans in the bottom of your unbaked pie shell.
  • Pour syrup mixture over the top of the pecans.
  • Cover top with foil and place in preheated oven.
  • Bake covered for 30 minutes; continue baking for 30 minutes, being careful not to burn the crust.
  • If the pie is too jiggly, continue to bake at 10 minute intervals until pie is not too jiggly. You should be able to move the pie without the filling shaking violently. 
  • Allow to cool for several hours before serving. 
Up close and personal with the pie. Oh yummy!

Pie Crust:
from Brown Eyed Baker
Ingredients:
  • I stick unsalted butter, chopped and frozen for 15 minutes
  • 1 1/4 c flour
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 2 tbsp ice water

Directions:
  • Cut stick of butter into small cubes and place in freezer for at least 15 minutes.
  • Combine flour and salt together and pulse together in the food processor.
  • Add butter to food processor and pulse approximately 10 times until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
  • Sprinkle ice water into mixture, a tablespoon at a time. Pulse for no more than 20 -30 seconds until the dough crumbles up.
  • Add additional water if the dough appears too dry.
  • Dump the dough out onto a clean surface and shape into a disc. Wrap it in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least an hour.

Brown Eyed Baker has the instructions on how to make the pie crust by hand on her website: Brown Eyed Baker.

I'm linking to TidyMom's Pie Party today, come on over and check out the other beautiful pies people are making. The hard part will be deciding which ones to make for Thanksgiving.



Love the Pie

4 comments:

  1. All butter pie crusts are the only ones I like to eat. I think they have a better flavor to them. Great job on your pecan pie. Looks like you're all ready for a wonderful Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nothing beats a good ol' Pecan Pie!!! I love the festive season, so many good recipes in the food community!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never made a pecan pie before but this looks absolutely amazing. I might try it out for Thanksgiving. Thanks for sharing! I am a new follower.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG that is ONE gorgeous and delicious sounding pie!!! Thanks so much for linking up!!!

    and guess what? you were a winner!!!……..check your email! ♥

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you!

 

Midwestern Girl | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates