Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Pie Crust

As we inch ever closer to the upcoming holidays, my thoughts turn to family recipes and the traditions I had growing up. One of my favorite things to make each year is pumpkin pie. I never eat it but I do love to make it.

My maternal grandmother didn't live long enough to teach me how to properly make her pie crust recipe but my family took all of her recipes and published a cookbook for her children and grandchildren. I remember begging for my own copy of this beloved cookbook. Luckily, there was one saved for me. I have added recipes my mom and aunt have remembered over the years and my cookbook is as well loved as my mom's. And I know that this year, my pumpkin and apple pies will be made with this pie crust.

It has 6 ingredients and makes 3 crusts. I guess when you have 5 kids and an hungry husband, you make things in bulk. :-)

Pie Crust:
midwesterngirl's family recipe 
  • 3 c flour
  • 1 1/2 c shortening
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 egg, beaten @ room temperature
  • 2 tbsp vinegar
  • 1/3 c cold water
Directions:
  • Mix together flour, shortening, and salt. 
  • Add egg, vinegar, and cold water. 
  • Mix together to make dough. 
  • Divide in thirds.
  • Roll out each dough to desired size and thickness. 

Happy pie making!

4 comments:

  1. That's so neat that you have a cookbook of all your family recipes. What a treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was really an amazing idea my aunts had after they lost their mother. I read it and imagine being in her kitchen. My aunts and uncle tell me that I remind them of her all the time. The best compliment they can give me. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How great to have a family cookbook. I haven't tried pie crust with vinegar, but I know many cooks swear by it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the cookbook idea! So sweet. I'm starting my pie baking next week!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you!

 

Midwestern Girl | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates