Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Pulled Pork Sliders

I function way better with lists. I am a list maker. Wow, that feels good to admit. :) When I write something down, I feel like I have to get it done. It's written. I made an effort to write it down so that means it's important.

Why am I telling you this? Well yesterday on my menu post, I promised the recipe to the whole wheat slider rolls I made for dinner last night. I did write it down. So I guess I have to share, huh? Even if the sandwich bun recipe turned into slider buns?

Mmm, pulled pork sliders.


Pulled Pork
For the pulled pork, I used about a 4-5 pound bone-in pork butt and used a rub from He Cooks, She Cooks without the mustard. I cooked the pork in the crockpot all day until the meat falls off the bone. Then comes the absolute tedious part of making pulled pork, shredding the meat. It's my least favorite part. But I love pulled pork so I guess it's just one of those things you gotta do to get to the yummy part of the meal. :)

Onto the wheat rolls. These are super easy and take less than 1 hour to make. Fabulous!!

Whole Wheat Rolls
adapted from Finding Joy in My Kitchen (full recipe)

1 package of yeast (she calls for 1 1/2 T but I just used a package since my jarred yeast was dead)
1 cup of warm water (110-120 degrees)
1/3 c oil (I used vegetable oil)
1/4 c sugar
1 tsp salt
2 1/2 to 3 c whole wheat flour (I can't seem to find white whole wheat flour at our grocery stores - I suppose the next time I make these I will use 2 c of whole wheat flour with 1/2 c of all purpose flour)

Directions:
  • Dissolve the yeast in the water.  Let sit for 5 minutes until yeast is foamy.
  • Add in the oil, sugar and salt.
  • Then, add in the flour, 1 C at a time stirring until incorporated.
  • Knead the dough for 5 minutes, until the dough is well formed and easy to work with.  
  • Add additional flour as needed to get the dough to become workable.
  • Divide the dough into 6 -10 sections and roll into balls. (6 if you want them larger, 10 if you want them smaller - slider size)
  • Place the rolls on a lightly greased cookie sheet.  Cover and let rise again for about 30 minutes.
  • Preheat oven to 425 and bake for 10 minutes until lightly browned.

Have a great Tuesday, my friends!


5 comments:

  1. Oh yummy, now I wish I owned a crockpot so I could make that pulled pork. That rolls recipe also sounds great. I love how it's so quick and doesn't require a lot of rising time. I guess it makes it that much easier to get dinner on the table.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum!!! Hope you'll stop by to link these up on Tailgating Time over at my blog Seaside Simplicity - these would be perfect for the football food buffet :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Lisa
    The crockpot is one of my favorite appliances in the house! I only wish I had a smaller one to make homemade queso in. Mine is huge, which is ideal to have for pulled pork. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Martha (MM)
    Thanks, Martha! I stopped by your blog and linked up. :) I'll have to make my queso and blog about before football season is over. :)

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you!

 

Midwestern Girl | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates