Friday, December 10, 2010

12 Weeks of Cookies Week 11 - Cinnamon Mexican Wedding Cookies

These cookies are an interesting and fun spin on traditional Mexican Wedding cookie. There is more cinnamon both in the dough and powered sugar goodness on the outside. One thing though: beware that these cookie crumble. One of our friends took a bite and half of his cookie fell straight onto his desk. He loved the taste of them but they were a challenge for him to eat. In my defense, I made them small enough to take one big bite but I like to think he was savoring the cookie. I jest; but I am really grateful to Bike Boy's co-workers who eat all my desserts and share their opinions each week. It sure does make a good girl feel good. :-)

Now onto this week's cookie: Wanna see a picture? Okay, okay, you twisted my arm.

Cinnamon Cookies
adapted from My Texas Life magazine

Ingredients:
  • 1 1/2 c powdered sugar, divided
  • 2 tsp cinnamon
  • 2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 1/2 c sifted whole wheat flour
  • 1/4 tsp salt

Directions:
  • Line a cookies sheet with foil and set aside.
  • Combine 1 c powdered sugar and 1 tsp cinnamon in a bowl and set aside.
  • Combine butter and 1/2 c powdered sugar in large mixing bowl and beat until fluffy.
  • Add vanilla extract and stir to combine.
  • Add sifted flour and salt to butter mixture mix on low speed for about 2 minutes. 
  • Roll cookie dough into 1" rounded balls and place on foil-lined cookie sheet. 
  • Chill for about 1 hour.
  • Preheat oven to 350 and bake cookies on center oven rack for 16-18 minutes.
  • Remove cookies from cookie sheet and cool on a wire rack. 
  • Once cookies are cool, roll them in the cinnamon sugar mixture. 

Enjoy!




7 comments:

  1. Yup, it's like I say, cinnamon and sugar makes everything better. Your cookies certainly seem to prove that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love mexican wedding cookies!! I need to try out this cinnamon version though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmm, love the cinnamon in these! A must-try!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh! With cinnamon? YUM!!! I can't wait to make these!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My mom used to make Mexican wedding cakes(we call them) every Christmas! I love them! Cinnamon would be a nice addition.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's what I love about Mexican Wedding cakes (cookies) the fact that they are so crumbly and moreish! The recipe I have has crushed walnuts and almonds but I must try yours with no nuts but with cinnamon - how delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful spin off from the original Mexican Wedding cookies! Sounds great!

    I'm hosting a Christmas Recipe party on Thursday (with prizes). Hope you can stop by!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you!

 

Midwestern Girl | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates