Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Christmas Rum Cake

Don't you just love the holidays? Especially when it involves this bad boy of cake. The Pioneer Woman's website is dangerous both to my heart and my hips. One of my friends asked me how I stay so skinny. The answer to that question is that I get one slice or cookie and Bike Boy, neighbors, and friends get the rest. Okay, I may have fibbed a little there on the rum cake because the second piece hit my hips last night. But it was awesome going down. Bike Boy is gonna have to share his slice or I'm going to be on a starvation diet until March.

Christmas Rum Cake
by The Pioneer Woman

Cake Ingredients:
  • 1 box of yellow cake mix
  • 1 box of instant vanilla pudding
  • 4 large eggs
  • 1/2 c cold water
  • 1/2 c vegetable oil
  • 1/2 c Sailor Jerry's Spiced Rum (any rum is fine but I like this rum)
  • 1 c finely chopped pecans
  • 1/4 light brown sugar

Glaze Ingredients:
  • 1 1/2 sticks butter
  • 1/4 c water
  • 1 1/2 c granulated sugar
  • 3/4 c Rum
Directions:
  • Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
  • Grease a bundt pan thoroughly. 
  • Mix all the cake ingredients together. PW puts the chopped nuts and brown sugar on the bottom of the bundt pan and then adds the cake ingredients on top of them but I messed up and added them in the batter. I actually found I like that better because the nuts were evenly spread throughout the cake.
  • Bake the cake for 55 - 60 minutes. Check cake around the 50 minute mark so you don't overbake the cake.
  • When the cake has about 10 minutes to go, begin to make the glaze. 
  • Melt butter in a saucepan. Stir in water and sugar. Boil for 4 -5 minutes, stirring constantly.
  • Turn off the flame and slowly pour in the rum. Stir to combine and reheat for 30 seconds to 1 minute, depending on how strong a rum taste you want in your glaze. 
  • Remove cake from the oven and immediately drizzle 1/3 of rum glaze on the bottom of the cake. Allow to sit for 5 minutes. Invert the cake onto a serving plate. Gently poke the entire surface of the cake with a fork. Slowly drizzle the remaining glaze on the cake.
  • Allow to cool at room temperature before serving. 


2 comments:

  1. That's how I keep myself from the goodies too. Your cake sounds very flavorful and it came out perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am surprised that the pioneer woman uses cake mixes; this cake reminds me of the ones we used to sell at a bakery I used to work at in Dallas a few years back, loaded with rum and chocolate chips and a great seller. I must say, I am tempted to make it!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you!

 

Midwestern Girl | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates