Christmas Rum Cake
by The Pioneer Woman
- 1 box of yellow cake mix
- 1 box of instant vanilla pudding
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 c cold water
- 1/2 c vegetable oil
- 1/2 c Sailor Jerry's Spiced Rum (any rum is fine but I like this rum)
- 1 c finely chopped pecans
- 1/4 light brown sugar
- 1 1/2 sticks butter
- 1/4 c water
- 1 1/2 c granulated sugar
- 3/4 c Rum
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Grease a bundt pan thoroughly.
- Mix all the cake ingredients together. PW puts the chopped nuts and brown sugar on the bottom of the bundt pan and then adds the cake ingredients on top of them but I messed up and added them in the batter. I actually found I like that better because the nuts were evenly spread throughout the cake.
- Bake the cake for 55 - 60 minutes. Check cake around the 50 minute mark so you don't overbake the cake.
- When the cake has about 10 minutes to go, begin to make the glaze.
- Melt butter in a saucepan. Stir in water and sugar. Boil for 4 -5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Turn off the flame and slowly pour in the rum. Stir to combine and reheat for 30 seconds to 1 minute, depending on how strong a rum taste you want in your glaze.
- Remove cake from the oven and immediately drizzle 1/3 of rum glaze on the bottom of the cake. Allow to sit for 5 minutes. Invert the cake onto a serving plate. Gently poke the entire surface of the cake with a fork. Slowly drizzle the remaining glaze on the cake.
- Allow to cool at room temperature before serving.