Sunday, January 9, 2011

Whole Wheat - Rosemary Bread

I've been on a mission to make bread this new year. I just love me some carbs. I can eat one cookie or brownie and be done but a good bread or roll and I am done for. Savory foods are my downfall. This bread recipe is modeled after Macaroni Grill's bread and I have to say, it really does taste very similar. It's been a while since I've been to Macaroni Grill but I do vaguely recall their rosemary bread. The initial recipe I saw said to bake it for 20 minutes but I think next time, I would bake it a little longer so the crust is more crunchy while keeping the inside nice and moist. If I figure out how to do that, I'll let you know!

Whole Wheat-Rosemary Bread
adapted from: Jamie Cooks it Up!
Ingredients:
  • 1 package active dry yeast
  • 1 cup warm water
  • 3 tbsp olive oil
  • 1/4 tsp sugar
  • 2 1/2 c white whole wheat flour
  • 1 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
  • 1/4 tsp freshly cracked pepper
  • 1 tsp  freshly chopped rosemary
  • 1 egg

Directions:
  • In your mixing bowl, combine yeast, water, and sugar.
  • Mix it all around and let sit for 5 minutes.
  • Add salt, oil, and 1 cup of flour.
  • Mix for 30 seconds to incorporate into the yeast mixture.
  • Add rest of the flour 1/2 c at a time, mixing after every addition.
  • When all the flour is mixed in, knead the dough for about 7 minutes.
  • While the mixer is kneading the dough, prep the herbs (cut the rosemary, measure out the seasoning and pepper)
  • When the dough has finished kneading, add in the herbs and mix until all the herbs are incorporated throughout the dough. 
  • Cover mixing bowl with a clean kitchen towel and let rise for about 40 minutes, or until doubled in size.
  • Divide dough into two pieces. Place on a greased sheet. Slit the tops and the top with an egg wash.
  • Place loaves in (170 degree) oven. Let rise for 15 minutes.
  • Turn oven up to 375 degrees and bake for 20 - 30 minutes or until lightly golden brown.
  • Cool on wire rack - brush some melted butter and salt on top.

3 comments:

  1. This bread sounds so flavorful. I'm a big carb lover too and could probably be totally happy just munching on a loaf of this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm munching on the loaf right now, Lisa! Definitely addicting. :)

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you!

 

Midwestern Girl | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates