Whole Wheat-Rosemary Bread
adapted from: Jamie Cooks it Up!
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp sugar
- 2 1/2 c white whole wheat flour
- 1 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/4 tsp freshly cracked pepper
- 1 tsp freshly chopped rosemary
- 1 egg
- In your mixing bowl, combine yeast, water, and sugar.
- Mix it all around and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Add salt, oil, and 1 cup of flour.
- Mix for 30 seconds to incorporate into the yeast mixture.
- Add rest of the flour 1/2 c at a time, mixing after every addition.
- When all the flour is mixed in, knead the dough for about 7 minutes.
- While the mixer is kneading the dough, prep the herbs (cut the rosemary, measure out the seasoning and pepper)
- When the dough has finished kneading, add in the herbs and mix until all the herbs are incorporated throughout the dough.
- Cover mixing bowl with a clean kitchen towel and let rise for about 40 minutes, or until doubled in size.
- Divide dough into two pieces. Place on a greased sheet. Slit the tops and the top with an egg wash.
- Place loaves in (170 degree) oven. Let rise for 15 minutes.
- Turn oven up to 375 degrees and bake for 20 - 30 minutes or until lightly golden brown.
- Cool on wire rack - brush some melted butter and salt on top.