Friday, March 18, 2011

Baking Issues

It seems everything I bake this week has some kind of issue with it.
  • The first cake I made was a vanilla bean cake with chocolate buttercream frosting. It was good but I think I overbaked it (and I actually took it out of the oven 15 minutes before the recipe said). It wasn't as light and fluffy as I had hoped. I also measured in ounces vs cups which was very different for me. 
  • I made mini blueberry muffins with applesauce instead of oil/butter. And while they tasted okay, I believe I used too much applesauce and the batter was too runny. On the plus side, I figured out how to make the batter not purple anymore! You have to mix the blueberries with flour and or sugar before adding to the batter. That's one thing my momma never told me. Well, we only ever made the blueberry muffins from Jiffy. Oh man, those were tasty. 
  • And then I tried to make some cupcakes with nutella frosting. So, Bike Boy has been on a health kick lately and now buys these eggs with extra omega-3 and what not in them. Well I grabbed them instead of the regular large grade a eggs. The cupcakes had an "eggy" taste as soon as you bit into them. I covered them with the frosting and hoped for the best. 
My friends, my baking mojo has left me. I did try some new stuff and learned what not to do in some instances. But I will be glad when summer is here and I can really get back to baking and take the time to really explore and break down recipes.

I will try again before Spring Break is over and redeem myself in the kitchen. I'm telling ya, I had one crazy baking week.


 

Midwestern Girl | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates