Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Amy's Birthday Cupcake

My co-worker's birthday is today and I naturally wanted to bring a sweet treat to her to celebrate. Working with 20 Kindergarten kids definitely deserves a sweet treat at the end of the day. :) Lucky for our Kinder team, my friend shared her dozen cupcakes and made our day a bit more fun. :)

Sorry it's so small, took the picture on my phone at work. 
I love the piping I did on the cupcake but I did hear my co-workers ask for more frosting. :) I can never win.


Chocolate Cupcakes
recipe by: Joy of Baking

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup Dutch-processed cocoa powder
  • 1 cup boiling hot water
  • 1 1/3 cups all purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
Directions:
  • Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
  • Line 16 muffin cups with paper liners.
  • In a microwave safe bowl, stir the cocoa powder into the boiling hot water. Let it cool to room temperature.
  • In another bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
  • Beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. 
  • Add the eggs, one at a time, beating until smooth. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed. 
  • Beat in the vanilla extract. Add the flour mixture and beat only until incorporated. 
  • Remove the paddle attachment and stir in the cocoa mixture by hand. Make sure to stir completely until smooth.
  • Fill each muffin cup about two-thirds full with batter and bake for about 16 - 18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into a cupcake comes out clean.
  • Remove from oven and place on a wire rack to cool. Once the cupcakes have completely cooled, frost with icing.
Chocolate Fudge Frosting:
  • 4 ounces of semi-sweet chocolate, coarsely chopped (I used Ghiradelli Semi-Sweet bar and just melted it down.
  • 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 1 1/3 cups confectioners (powdered or icing) sugar, sifted
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract (I used Mexican vanilla)
Directions:
  • Melt the chocolate bar either in a microwave safe bowl at 30 second intervals or I used my Wilton Chocolate Pro. Sidebar, that thing is awesome!!
  • Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature.
  • Beat butter until smooth and creamy. 
  • Add the sugar and beat until it is light and fluffy. 
  • Beat in the vanilla extract.
  • Add the chocolate and beat on low speed until incorporated. Increase the speed to medium-high and beat until frosting is the consistency of whipped topping almost. You can stop sooner (as soon as you see it smooth) but I like how the "whipped" buttercream taste so I let the mixer do its magic for a little while longer.  
Read more: http://www.joyofbaking.com/ChocolateCupcakes.html#ixzz1JRpwEY


Enjoy! I know Amy and my Kinder team did!

1 comment:

  1. Hey, great to see you baking again. I'm sure she really appreciated the sweet thought.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you!

 

Midwestern Girl | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates