Friday, April 22, 2011

Lemon and Poppy Seed Cupcakes

Lemon cupcakes? I have never made nor eaten a lemon cupcake before my cupcake class last weekend. And I can totally say I was missing something!! These are light, fluffy, and delicious. I hope you try them really soon.
And since it's Easter weekend, I thought I would practice some of my new piping skills and make some Easter/Spring decorations. :) Definitely still a beginner but getting better.

No Easter cupcake can be complete without a nest filled with jelly beans.

Look at my pretty leaves!! And you can see the poppy seeds in the cupcake too. Bonus!


Lemon and Poppy Seed Cupcakes
recipe from All in One Bake Shop
makes 18 -20  cupcakes
Ingredients:
  • 1 stick of unsalted butter
  • 1 1/2 cup cake flour
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 3/4 tbsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp baking soda
  • 2 eggs
  • 3/4 cup buttermilk
  • 1 tbsp clear pure vanilla
  • 1 1/2 tbsp lemon extract
  • poppy seeds to taste - I used about 3/4 tbsp, just enough to see in the batter

Directions:
The directions on these cupcakes are different that the ones I have made before. But it is well worth the uniqueness!

  • Preheat oven to 350
  • Line cupcake pans with liners
  • Add flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and butter to mixer. Mix until it begins to resemble wet sand. 
  • Add eggs, buttermilk, and vanilla to mixture and mix until well blended. 
  • Stir in lemon extract and poppy seeds.
  • Bake at 350 for 15 minutes or until the tops spring back or a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.


 

Tidy Mom

3 comments:

  1. I love your Easter cupcake designs. What a sweet way to enjoy the holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lisa! I am trying out all the new techniques I learned in my cupcake decorating class. I will show off the bunny in my next post! It's super cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am hosting a linky party at my blog called A Themed Baker's Sunday! Where the theme is LEMONS!!! I would love it if you linked either this recipe or a different lemony deliciousness!! I'm uber excited to see what you have in store!!
    http://cupcakeapothecary.blogspot.com/2011/04/themed-bakers-sunday-2.html
    Alyssa

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you!

 

Midwestern Girl | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates