Friday, April 29, 2011

Mini Chocolate Cupcakes with Buttercream Frosting

OMG, these are delicious!! I closed my eyes as I bit into one and thought I went to chocolate heaven. I believe this will be my recipe of choice for chocolate cupcakes. I know that I have tried out a few recipes but the way this recipe mixes the batter makes the cake so light and fluffy that the others just do not compare.
My darling husband bought me a 6 qt Kitchen Aid stand mixer for our anniversary (it's May 17th but he opened the box...) and I just couldn't wait to try it out. I have an Ultra stand mixer already but I wanted one that had the bowl lift and we did get a great deal for it.
Anyway back to the recipe, I used the basic recipe I have for vanilla cake (I used that for the base of the Lemon Poppy Seed Cupcakes) and added cocoa powder. That's it. It's a brilliant standby recipe that you can add anything into to make someone's day a little more fabulous. Did I tell you that my husband's co-workers made me a thank you card for all the treats I send with him? Well, that just made me make them more stuff. Great job, guys! And thanks for the card, it was awesome.


Chocolate Cupcakes:
Recipe from: All in One Bake Shop Online
  • 1 stick of unsalted butter
  • 1 c cake flour
  • 1 c sugar
  • 2 1/4 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 c cocoa
  • 2 eggs
  • 3/4 c buttermilk
  • 1 tbsp vanilla extract
Directions:
  • Mix butter, flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and cocoa together in mixer until mixture resembles wet sand. Make sure all the butter is thoroughly incorporated into the dry ingredients.
  • Add 1 egg and half of the buttermilk to the flour mixture and mix until incorporated.
  • Add the rest of the wet ingredients including vanilla extract. Mix until well blended.
  • Pour into prepared cupcake pans and bake at 350 for 10 minutes.
Frost with your favorite frosting and enjoy!

Here's my new favorite buttercream frosting recipe:
Source: Allrecipes
  • 1 cup shortening
  • 4 cups confectioners' sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon clear vanilla extract
  • 1/4 cup and 2 tablespoons heavy cream
  1. Cream shortening until fluffy. Add powdered sugar and continue creaming until well blended.
  2. Add salt, vanilla, and whipping cream blend on low speed until moistened. Add additional whipping cream if necessary. 
  3. Whip at high speed until frosting is fluffy.

Enjoy!

Post linked to Sweets for a Saturday link up party

5 comments:

  1. These are so cute! I love mini cupcakes, so fun to just pop into your mouth.

    I'd love to have you share this recipe on my weekly link-up, Sweet Tooth Friday. I hope to see you there. http://alli-n-son.com/2011/04/28/mint-infused-plum-tarte-tatin/

    ReplyDelete
  2. These could get me in real trouble! They look fabulous! Please share your delicious recipe with our readers by linking it up at Muffin (and Cupcake) Monday. Thanks so much!
    http://www.talkingdollarsandcents.net/strawberry-muffins-with-a-sweet-topping

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are drawbacks to working from home and that is when your husband sends out an announcement that there are some of your cookies and mini cupcakes in the breakroom. Do you deliver? :-)

    p.s. I agree, your husband is a "darling".

    regards,
    Luciano

    ReplyDelete
  4. The pink icing caught my attention. Love pink these are cute cupcakes and I love baking with buttermilk and sure they are moist and delicious. Great job Most of my baking is taken to work with my husband and the boys love it. Andi
    http://thewednesdaybaker.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mini treats are my favorite. I can indulge without feeling guilty about it. These look like some tasty little bites. Thanks for linking this up to Sweets for a Saturday.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you!

 

Midwestern Girl | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates