My darling husband bought me a 6 qt Kitchen Aid stand mixer for our anniversary (it's May 17th but he opened the box...) and I just couldn't wait to try it out. I have an Ultra stand mixer already but I wanted one that had the bowl lift and we did get a great deal for it.
Anyway back to the recipe, I used the basic recipe I have for vanilla cake (I used that for the base of the Lemon Poppy Seed Cupcakes) and added cocoa powder. That's it. It's a brilliant standby recipe that you can add anything into to make someone's day a little more fabulous. Did I tell you that my husband's co-workers made me a thank you card for all the treats I send with him? Well, that just made me make them more stuff. Great job, guys! And thanks for the card, it was awesome.
Recipe from: All in One Bake Shop Online
- 1 stick of unsalted butter
- 1 c cake flour
- 1 c sugar
- 2 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 c cocoa
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 c buttermilk
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- Mix butter, flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and cocoa together in mixer until mixture resembles wet sand. Make sure all the butter is thoroughly incorporated into the dry ingredients.
- Add 1 egg and half of the buttermilk to the flour mixture and mix until incorporated.
- Add the rest of the wet ingredients including vanilla extract. Mix until well blended.
- Pour into prepared cupcake pans and bake at 350 for 10 minutes.
Here's my new favorite buttercream frosting recipe:
- 1 cup shortening
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon clear vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup and 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- Cream shortening until fluffy. Add powdered sugar and continue creaming until well blended.
- Add salt, vanilla, and whipping cream blend on low speed until moistened. Add additional whipping cream if necessary.
- Whip at high speed until frosting is fluffy.
Post linked to Sweets for a Saturday link up party