Friday, June 17, 2011

Pineapple Upside Down Cupcakes

If you like pineapple, have I got a recipe for you! It's moist and full of pineapple flavor with a bit of crunch on the top. The one thing mine was missing was a cherry in the middle but the store was out of cherries (after I spent 10 minutes looking for them - who knew they wouldn't be in the canned fruit aisle?!?!?). Anyway, I would definitely add a cherry to each individual cake as I think it makes it a true pineapple upside down cake. 
Pineapple Upside Down Cupcakes
Adapted from Pineapple Upside Down Cake by Joy of Baking

Ingredients:
Topping:

4 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut in small cubes

12 tbsp light brown sugar, 1 tbsp in each individual cupcake space

1 can of crushed pineapple

Maraschino cherries

Cake Batter:
1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup pineapple juice

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease cupcake pan very well. 

Topping: 
  • Place a few (2-3) butter cubes and  1 tbsp of brown sugar in each individual cupcake tin.
  • Heat in oven until the sugar becomes bubbly on the outside and begins to caramelize. 
  • Remove from heat. 
  • Add one cherry to each cupcake tin and evenly arrange the crushed pineapple on top of the sugar mixture.  

Cake Batter:
  • In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
  • In the bowl of your stand mixer, beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
  •  Beat in the vanilla extract. 
  • Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. 
  • Add the flour mixture (in three additions), alternately with the juice (in two additions), ending with the dry ingredients. 
  • Pour 2 tbsp of cake batter in each cupcake tin and bake for 15-18 minutes until golden brown and the sides of the cake are beginning to pull away from the edge of the pan. 
  • Let cool for about 5 minutes and turn the cupcakes over to reveal the pineapple topping side.  

Enjoy!!

10 comments:

  1. Those cupcakes look so cute and yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love a good cupcake! Great idea making the traditional cake into bite-sized treats.

    I hope you'll stop by my weekly link-up, Sweet Tooth Friday and share your recipe! http://alli-n-son.com/2011/06/16/midnight-craving-cupcakes/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi :->
    I followed your link over from 'Sweet As Sugar Cookies'

    I chuckled when I read the part about how you would have added a cherry to each one if you had been able to find them in the store.

    Why did I chuckle? Because at Easter my MIL made a full size cake, complete with the cherries, and an extra amount of their juice, which totally ruined the whole thing from my perspective.

    See, I am not a fan of cherries. Not marchino ones ("who wants the one off my sundae?!"), not the fresh fruit type, nor the canned pie filling type. Not at all! My husband does, so I make him things with them, but then leave them alone.

    Seeings how you wish yours had cherries on them, and they don't, I'll allow you to send me the rest of them. o;-p

    ReplyDelete
  4. YUM! Pineapple Upside Down Cake is my FAVORITE dessert! Next time you make these, let me know and I'll come over to test them for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, Tracy...wow...these look so good. I am about to make them..I have every thing but CRUSHED pineapple but I have pineapple chunks and I just have to try them...TONIGHT. :)

    I, too, have a Texas address...West Texas !
    I am your 25th follower and I would love it if you'd come by, see if you like me, and if you do, follow me, too. :)) Us Texas gals gotta hang out together.
    I'm a great-grandmother, having a great time blogging.
    xo bj

    ReplyDelete
  6. O, and was looking to see if you have printable recipes..?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi BJ! Welcome! :) I thought about doing pineapple rings as well but they are too big for my muffin tins! I can't wait to hear how they turned out for you!!

    The posts are printable, just look right below the small pictures at the bottom of the post and then you can print either from there or a PDF file. I had to make sure they were still there!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Alexa - they are still here. Come and get em!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cheryl B, I can't believe you would leave out the cherries! But I do understand your dislike of cherries. When I was growing up, my father's mother would make a cherry pie and LEAVE out the sugar. Man, I still can't eat a cherry pie. :) But I think I still may try this recipe again and add a small cherry (no juice) to give it a pretty topper. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just love pineapple upside down cake and you know how much I like it when treats come in smaller sizes. I imagine that people would be so happy to get their own individual cakes.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you!

 

Midwestern Girl | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates