Aren't they pretty? And I can tell you they taste delicious! Now they are not a one step and you're done process but it is worth the wait. Hope you try them soon!
Homemade soft pretzels
Adapted from two peas and their pod
- 1 1/2 c warm water
- 2 tbsp light brown sugar
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 6 tbsp butter, melted and slightly cooled
- 2 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 4 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- Vegetable oil
- 12 cups water
- 3/4 cup baking soda
- coarse sea salt
- Combine water, sugar, yeast and butter in mixing bowl. Stir to combine and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Add the salt and flour to yeast mixture and mix on low speed until combined. Increase the speed to medium and knead dough until smooth and it begins to pull away from the sides of the bowl.
- Coat an additional bowl with vegetable oil, making sure to coat all sides of the bowl. Transfer dough to oiled bowl, cover and let sit until it doubles in size, about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Bring water to a boil in a large pot and add baking soda.
- Divide dough into 8 equal pieces, about 4 1/2 oz each. Roll each piece into a long rope and cut into 1 inch pieces to make the nuggets.
- Boil the pretzel bites for 30 seconds. (ok - this step freaks me out but don't skip it, it's important to give the pretzels that crunchy crust). Remove with a large slotted spoon.
- Place the boiled nuggets on a greased cookie sheet. Make sure they are not touching each other.
- Place in oven and bake for 15 -18 minutes until golden brown.
- Remove to a wire rack and let rest for a few minutes before eating.