Thursday, June 16, 2011

Soft Pretzel Nuggets

Bravery. In the kitchen. I felt it today, man. I am going to conquer my baking nemesis, the homemade soft pretzel. I can do this. I can bake bread, I can bake all sorts of stuff. Pretzels elude me. It was the one thing my husband actually said was bad. :( Here I thought he would sugarcoat it for me. But he's right, my first attempt was inedible. BUT I did it!! I made some today and they were delicious. Perfect golden brown in color, soft on the inside with just the right amount of salt on the outside. I conquered my baking nemesis (at least the one for right now) and I am here to show the beautiful pictures of these precious nuggets. Golden brown and delicious. 



Aren't they pretty? And I can tell you they taste delicious! Now they are not a one step and you're done process but it is worth the wait. Hope you try them soon!

Homemade soft pretzels
Adapted from two peas and their pod

Ingredients:
  • 1 1/2 c warm water
  • 2 tbsp light brown sugar
  • 1 package active dry yeast
  • 6 tbsp butter, melted and slightly cooled
  • 2 1/2 tsp kosher salt
  • 4 1/2 cups all purpose flour
  • Vegetable oil
  • 12 cups water
  • 3/4 cup baking soda
  • coarse sea salt

Directions:
  • Combine water, sugar, yeast and butter in mixing bowl. Stir to combine and let sit for 5 minutes.
  • Add the salt and flour to yeast mixture and mix on low speed until combined. Increase the speed to medium and knead dough until smooth and it begins to pull away from the sides of the bowl.
  • Coat an additional bowl with vegetable oil, making sure to coat all sides of the bowl. Transfer dough to oiled bowl, cover and let sit until it doubles in size, about 1 hour.
  • Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
  • Bring water to a boil in a large pot and add baking soda.
  • Divide dough into 8 equal pieces, about 4  1/2 oz each. Roll each piece into a long rope and cut into 1 inch pieces to make the nuggets. 
  • Boil the pretzel bites for 30 seconds. (ok - this step freaks me out but don't skip it, it's important to give the pretzels that crunchy crust). Remove with a large slotted spoon. 
  • Place the boiled nuggets on a greased cookie sheet. Make sure they are not touching each other.
  • Place in oven and bake for 15 -18 minutes until golden brown. 
  • Remove to a wire rack and let rest for a few minutes before eating. 

 

Midwestern Girl | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates