I have been craving some banana bread since I got Joanne Chang's cookbook for my birthday. The pictures in her cookbook are so mouth-watering, I want to make everything! But I had to choose one to start with and I chose this amazing banana bread and it was amazing. A perfect first choice to make. It is moist and has the perfect texture of a sweet bread. It just melts in your mouth.
by Joanne Chang
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup plus 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3 1/2 very ripe bananas, mashed
- 2 tbsp creme fraiche or sour cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup toasted walnuts, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 325.
- Thoroughly grease a 9x5 loaf pan.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, soda, cinnamon, and salt together. Set aside.
- Using a stand mixer with the whip attachment, beat together the sugar and eggs on medium speed for roughly 5 minutes until light and fluffy.
- Put mixer on low speed and gradually drizzle in oil. Add it slowly so it has time to incorporate into the eggs and doesn't deflate all the air you just whipped into the eggs.
- Add the bananas, creme fraiche, and vanilla and continue to mix until just incorporated.
- Using a spatula, flour in the flour mixture and nuts until just combined. No flour streaks should be visible.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan.
- Bake at 325 for 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. The center should spring back when you press on it.
- Let cool in the pan on a wire rack for at least 30 minutes and then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.