Alright enough of my rambling about this heat and onto the cake recipe. It really is a delicious cake that isn't overly sweet and has a fine grain like a cake from a bakery. Definitely a keeper in my book. :)
Classic Yellow Cake
King Arthur Flour
- 1 and 1/2 sticks butter (12 tbsp)
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 large eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk, buttermilk, or yogurt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line two 8 inch cake pans with parchment paper and grease the pans.
- In a large stand mixer, cream together the butter, sugar, salt, baking powder, and vanilla extract until fluffy and light, about 5 minutes.
- Add the eggs to the butter mixture one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Alternately add 1/3 of flour, 1/2 of milk, 1/3 flour, rest of milk, and rest of flour into butter mixture, beating after each addition. Be sure to scrape the sides and bottom of the mixing bowl throughout the entire process.
- Pour batter into two 8 inch greased cake pans.
- Bake at 350 for 25- 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes clean.
- Cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then turn out a wire rack to cool completely before frosting.