Sunday, July 31, 2011

Classic Yellow Cake

I went back and forth on what sort of cake to make for my final Wilton class this week. I went looking through my new King Arthur Flour cookbook and found this recipe for classic yellow cake. Hmmm, a yellow cake from scratch? Sounds like a delicious way to spend an afternoon. If only it wasn't 105 degrees outside it would be that much better. On a side note, can we please please please get some rain??????? I am totally dying in this heat and cake baking is just so hard when it's this hot and dry. I think I need a summer home in a place that's not so hot. Anyone got any recommendations? :) j/k I love my little town just maybe I would love it a lot more if it rained (at all) and was say below 100 occasionally. I'm not picky just hot.

Alright enough of my rambling about this heat and onto the cake recipe. It really is a delicious cake that isn't overly sweet and has a fine grain like a cake from a bakery. Definitely a keeper in my book. :)


Classic Yellow Cake
King Arthur Flour

Ingredients:
  • 1 and 1/2 sticks butter (12 tbsp)
  • 1 3/4 cups sugar
  • 3/4 tsp salt
  • 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 4 large eggs
  • 2 egg yolks
  • 2 3/4 cup all purpose flour
  • 1 1/2 cups milk, buttermilk, or yogurt

Directions:
  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  • Line two 8 inch cake pans with parchment paper and grease the pans.
  • In a large stand mixer, cream together the butter, sugar, salt, baking powder, and vanilla extract until fluffy and light, about 5 minutes.
  • Add the eggs to the butter mixture one at a time, beating well after each addition.
  • Alternately add 1/3 of flour, 1/2 of milk, 1/3 flour, rest of milk, and rest of flour into butter mixture, beating after each addition. Be sure to scrape the sides and bottom of the mixing bowl throughout the entire process.
  • Pour batter into two 8 inch greased cake pans.
  • Bake at 350 for 25- 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes clean.
  • Cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then turn out a wire rack to cool completely before frosting.
 

Midwestern Girl | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates