One secret I absolutely loved was to use creme fraiche in your baking, it will make all the difference. Creme fraiche is popular in France but not so much in America. I have never heard of it before receiving this book. I trusted Joanne when she wrote that this is a "magic" ingredient in her baking. And you know what, she's right. It's that little touch that takes your food from great to fabulous. It's so easy to make too, love that!
recipe from Joanne Chang
- 1 quart heavy cream
- 4 tablespoons buttermilk
- Just add 4 tablespoons of buttermilk to a quart of heavy cream.
- Let stand at warm room temperature overnight (or at least 10 hours).
- Stir in the morning and it should be rich and creamy.
- If it's still liquidy, re-cover and continue to let it sit in a warm spot. Check every hour or so until it thickens.
- When it has a good thick but easy to stir consistency, cover it tightly and store in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.