Monday, August 29, 2011

Strawberry Swirl Cake

On tap this week is a strawberry and vanilla cake with a petaled effect on the outside as well as a swirl on the inside. So simple yet has that wow factor.

I learned how to do the petal effect from Melissa @ My Cake School and I thought I would alternate the colors to add some color. I can see doing this cake in colors like red and white, green and pink, green and white, and many more.

I had extra batter so I made so coordinating cupcakes. The flower in the middle is made from gumpaste while the rest are made with buttercream.

You can find the vanilla cake recipe here: All In One Bake Shop Recipes
I used the full cupcake recipe and got two 8 inch round cakes and about 7 cupcakes from that batter. To make the strawberry cake, I took half the cake batter and poured it into another bowl and added 3 tbsp of strawberry icing fruits to the batter. I then alternated scooping batters into the prepared pan to create a swirl pattern inside the cake.


This was the first time I tried making this flavor combination and I am so glad I did. It is fruity but not overly so and the cake isn't so sweet that it competes with the icing. You know those cakes where your mouth hurts from all the sugar? Well, this cake isn't that. It's light and fluffy and incredibly delicious.





 

Midwestern Girl | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates