Monday, September 19, 2011

Owl Cupcakes

Aren't these the cutest things? I was so excited when I completed them that I had to run into the next room to share with hubby. I think my favorite is the little guy on the top right. He looks up to no good. :)

I made a batch of chocolate cupcakes and then made one batch of buttercream icing and tinted it three colors: dark brown, light brown, and red. From there on, they were pretty easy to make.

  • Fill three piping bags with each of the colors you have tinted; dark brown, light brown, and red. Attach a tip 21 to the dark brown and light brown bags. Attach a tip 81 to the red bag. 
  • Using the tip 21, cover the entire cupcake with stars to create the fur. Add additional stars on the sides to create the wings.
  • Add another row of stars on the top of cupcake to create more "fur" to hold up the gumpaste eyes. 
  • To make the gumpaste eyes, roll out your gumpaste to about 1/8 - 1/4 inch thickness and using the bottom of any piping tip, cut out circles and let dry. When the eyes are dry or firm (about 5 minutes), use a food coloring pen to make the pupils. 
  • Attach the gumpaste eyes to the cupcakes, setting them into the crusted buttercream.
  • Using the tip 81, make small lips in the center of the cupcakes to make the owl lips. 
I hope you attempt to make these this fall. And if you do, I'd love to see the pictures!

Have a great Monday!


 

Midwestern Girl | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates