Thursday, October 20, 2011

Candy Corn Cookies

It's that time again...another week of the 12 weeks of Christmas cookies.:)  I took a little liberty here and made some Halloween candy corn but wouldn't these be cute in red, green, and white for the holiday season?
I have seen candy corn cookies around the blogsphere for a little bit now, both in my Google Reader and on Pinterest, I knew I just had to make some for our upcoming Halloween party this weekend (if they make it that long....). And on a side note, don't you just love Pinterest? It's so addicting!!! I have found so many great ideas from a bunch of new blogs. I can't stay away. Is there a Pinterest support group anywhere? :) Okay, back to the cookies...



Candy Corn Cookies
recipe adapted from Sue @Munchkin Munchies

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup butter, softened
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 2 tablespoons orange juice
  • 2 teaspoons lemon extract
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp poppy seeds
  • Orange gel food color
  • Yellow gel food color
  • *1/2 cup sugar (optional, if you want to cover the cookies with sugar immediately after baking)

Directions:
  • Line bottom and sides of 9x5-inch loaf pan with parchment or wax paper.  Set aside.
  • Combine the butter and 1 cup sugar in large bowl; beat at medium speed until creamy. 
  • Add egg, orange juice, lemon zest and salt. Continue beating until well mixed. 
  • With the mixer on low, add flour and baking soda. Beat until well mixed.
  • Divide dough into thirds. Press one-third of white dough evenly onto bottom of prepared pan. 
  • Place another one-third of dough back into same bowl. Add small amount of orange food color; mix until color is well blended. 
  • Press orange dough evenly over white dough in pan. 
  • Place remaining one-third of dough into another medium bowl. Add small amount of yellow food color; mix until color is well blended. Press yellow dough evenly over orange dough in pan. 
  •  Cover with plastic food wrap; refrigerate until firm (at least 2 hours or overnight).
After chilling:
  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  • Slice the dough into about 1/4 inch thick slices and then cut them into triangle shapes to resemble candy corn. I know that some of them will have the wrong tops but you could always coat the top with melted white chocolate to cover up the yellow.
  • Bake for 7-10 minutes our until the edges turn light golden brown. 
  • Remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
  • Enjoy!

8 comments:

  1. These look very yummy! And they would be cute in red, white and green--you could probably make them round then instead--like ornaments. BTW, I LOVE Pinterest too! I've got two accounts actually--one personal and one for my blog (mostly food related).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Sue's blog. I am happy to see someone make some of her stuff...I just bookmark it and never get back to making it. I love those cookies. They are adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adorable, and perfect for fall! :) I love Brenda's idea of adapting them for different holidays.

    http://steaknpotatoeskindagurl.blogspot.com/2011/10/caramel-apple-marshmallow-dip-improv.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've seen these around too and I think its simply brilliant how u can customize this for pretty much any occasion. Love the way u'rs turned out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are perfect for Halloween! Lots of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, ladies! I love the citrus taste of these with the fun design for Halloween. I love the idea of round ornaments for Christmas, what a cute idea! Thanks, Brenda! I was surprised at how easy they were to make, definitely a keeper recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We are having a halloween party next Friday. These are exactly what I have been searching for!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you!

 

Midwestern Girl | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates