I have seen candy corn cookies around the blogsphere for a little bit now, both in my Google Reader and on Pinterest, I knew I just had to make some for our upcoming Halloween party this weekend (if they make it that long....). And on a side note, don't you just love Pinterest? It's so addicting!!! I have found so many great ideas from a bunch of new blogs. I can't stay away. Is there a Pinterest support group anywhere? :) Okay, back to the cookies...
Candy Corn Cookies
recipe adapted from Sue @Munchkin Munchies
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 teaspoons lemon extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 tsp poppy seeds
- Orange gel food color
- Yellow gel food color
- *1/2 cup sugar (optional, if you want to cover the cookies with sugar immediately after baking)
- Line bottom and sides of 9x5-inch loaf pan with parchment or wax paper. Set aside.
- Combine the butter and 1 cup sugar in large bowl; beat at medium speed until creamy.
- Add egg, orange juice, lemon zest and salt. Continue beating until well mixed.
- With the mixer on low, add flour and baking soda. Beat until well mixed.
- Divide dough into thirds. Press one-third of white dough evenly onto bottom of prepared pan.
- Place another one-third of dough back into same bowl. Add small amount of orange food color; mix until color is well blended.
- Press orange dough evenly over white dough in pan.
- Place remaining one-third of dough into another medium bowl. Add small amount of yellow food color; mix until color is well blended. Press yellow dough evenly over orange dough in pan.
- Cover with plastic food wrap; refrigerate until firm (at least 2 hours or overnight).
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Slice the dough into about 1/4 inch thick slices and then cut them into triangle shapes to resemble candy corn. I know that some of them will have the wrong tops but you could always coat the top with melted white chocolate to cover up the yellow.
- Bake for 7-10 minutes our until the edges turn light golden brown.
- Remove to a wire rack to cool completely.