Thursday, November 10, 2011

12 Weeks of Cookies - M&M Cookies

I went to the store this week and happened upon the holiday candy aisle. OMG, that aisle is dangerous. :) I love m&m's, especially the holiday colored ones. It just gets me in the holiday spirit. I had to resist eating the entire bag.

I just knew what I wanted to make with the bag that somehow jumped into my cart, m&m cookies! These cookies didn't turn out the way I had envisioned, they fell flat when they came out of the oven and the m&m's stuck out of the dough. Hmm, anyone have any ideas on how to prevent that? But don't let the flatness of the cookie dissuade you, they are delicious! I love making m&m cookies for the holidays, they are just a nice simple cookie that add a bit of color to your holiday tray!


M&M Cookies
recipe adapted from Lovin' From the Oven

Ingredients:

  • 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  •  1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • dash of cinnamon
  • 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 cup regular size m&m's
  • 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
Directions:
  • Preheat oven to 350° F.
  • Whisk together flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt in small bowl. Set aside
  • Beat butter, sugar, brown sugar and vanilla extract in large mixer bowl until light and creamy. 
  • Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. 
  • Gradually beat in flour mixture. Mix until just combined.
  • Stir in m&m's and chocolate chips. 
  • Drop by rounded tablespoon onto parchment lined baking sheets.
  • Bake for 9 to 11 minutes or until the edges are golden brown. 
  • Cool on baking sheets for 2 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely.
  • Enjoy!


10 comments:

  1. Flat or not, they still look yummy! Love holiday candy, too, especially m&ms.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a disaster in the candy aisle--I end up with all kinds of things I decide I "need" because it's seasonal and I can't get it any other time of the year! I've made plenty of flat cookies in my time, and they always still taste good. I have found that chilling the dough before baking sometime helps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Ashley! I may need to chill the dough the next time I make them.

    They didn't last long at all; I have about 3 cookies left from the over 3 dozen I made. Apparently it didn't matter if they were flat or not!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a sucker for the holiday candy, too. I agree that chilling the dough may help. Or you can start with cold butter, really cranking up your stand mixer to work it in. Cold butter will whip in more air, making a lighter cookie. If your butter is too "soft" that can lead to problems.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ the poet herself- I usually use cool butter, not cold but not completely room temperature to prevent spreading but perhaps this recipe needed to have cold butter and some extra chilling time. I think I'll experiment more tomorrow and see if anything helps! Thanks for the suggestions!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know what you mean. Seems every time I look there's a new M&M I want to try. I just saw mint ones the other day. Delicious idea to put them in cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I tried the mint ones last year, Lisa. They were totally delicious in cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always say don't judge a book by its cover. And the same is true for cookies. ( although I think they look really yummy)

    ReplyDelete
  9. The holidays just wouldn't be the same with out a bag or two of m&m's put in cookies (ooor just munched on!).

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you!

 

Midwestern Girl | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates