Thursday, November 3, 2011

12 Weeks of Cookies - Pumpkin Cake Cookies

These cookies remind me of my childhood, when my mom made me pumpkin cake with buttercream frosting instead of pumpkin pie. I loved pumpkin cake as a child and I love these cookies too. The cookies have the same cakey taste and the buttercream frosting just like the cake my mom made.
When my husband came home and had one, he declared they were awesome. Later, he told me that these were one of the cookies he didn't want to take to work because he wanted them all to himself. I may have something to say about that. I want more of them too! These cookies have a sweet icing with a soft pumpkin cookie that just melt in your mouth. Excuse me while I grab another one. Mmm, delicious! Perfect for a holiday dessert! 


Pumpkin Cake Cookies
Recipe from Benton Elementary School Cookbook 2001

Ingredients:
  • 1 stick butter, cool not quite room temperature (room temp butter will cause the cookies to spread more)
  • 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
  • 1 cup canned pumpkin
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp nutmeg
  • 1/2 tsp ginger
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
Frosting:
  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, room temperature
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla
  • 2 cups powdered sugar
  • 2 1/2 Tbsp milk
  • 1/8 tsp cinnamon
Directions:
  • Combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and salt in a medium bowl. 
  • Cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
  • Add pumpkin, egg, and vanilla to butter mixture and blend well until light and creamy.
  • Mix in dry ingredients until well blended.
  • Drop by rounded tablespoons onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. 
  • Bake in a 350 degree oven for 15-20 minutes.
  • Cool completely on a wire rack and then frost with frosting.
  • Enjoy!!

3 comments:

  1. I love the idea of buttercream frosted pumpkin cookies. They would be perfect for Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ sugarspiceiced - I have never been a fan of cream cheese frosting so buttercream is the only way to go in this house!! lol

    Wow, hubby just told me the cookies were amazing, just amazing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the thick layer of icing on top. I don't like a lot of icing on top of cake, but love it on cookies. YUM!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you!

 

Midwestern Girl | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates