Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Day of the Dead Sugar Skull

Happy Day of the Dead, everyone! According to Wikipedia, the Day of the Dead (in Spanish: Día de los Muertos) is a holiday celebrated in Mexico and around the world in many cultures. The holiday focuses on gatherings of family and friends to pray for and remember friends and family members who have died. I have never really done anything for the Day of Dead until I moved to Texas and taught in a small school with a wonderful Spanish program. Our Spanish teacher taught both the faculty and students all about the Day of the Dead each year.

A few weeks ago, I had the opportunity to decorate a sugar skull for the Day of the Dead. The sugar skull was made from a mold and the two pieces were glued together using royal icing. The skull was decorated with fondant and royal icing decorations.The more colorful the better! I am donating the skull to my friend for her Spanish classes and altar. I hope the kids enjoy it!



 

Midwestern Girl | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates