Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Banana Walnut Mini Muffins and Bread

I have been craving some banana muffins lately but I haven't made any creme fraiche to make Joanne Chang's banana bread, which is the most moist banana bread I have ever had. So I had to try something new. It's a new year, we're all supposed to try new things, right? Perhaps that is my goal this year; to step out of my comfort zone and try new things.

This banana bread isn't as moist as Joanne Chang's but it's still pretty good. Probably better if I had any buttermilk, but mine had expired and I'm not taking any chances with that! So I substituted sour milk for the buttermilk and it was okay but buttermilk is better, sorry Grandma. My grandmother always used sour milk in her recipes, I was an adult long before I realized that buttermilk could be used in recipes. I always just subbed in sour milk, what was I thinking? Oh man, I was missing out. Are there any ingredients you never knew about until you were an adult?



Banana Bread
recipe from Gold Medal Flour

Ingredients:
  • 1 1/4 cups sugar
  • 1 stick butter, softened to room temperature
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 1/2 cups mashed very ripe bananas (3-4 medium)
  • 1/2 cup buttermilk
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 cup chopped walnuts

Directions:
  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease pans (I used two 8x4 loaf pans and one 24 mini muffin pan) with cooking spray.
  • In a large bowl, mix butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
  • Add bananas, buttermilk, and vanilla; beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until smooth.
  • Whisk together flour, baking soda, salt, and nuts together. 
  • Add flour mixture to banana mixture and stir until the mixture is just moistened. 
  • Pour batter into pan.
  • Bake mini muffins for 12-15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes clean. Bake loaves of bread for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes clean. 
  • Cool for 10 minutes in pan and then move to a wire rack and let cool completely. 
  • Cool for about 1 hour before slicing. 
Happy Wednesday, my friends!

 

Midwestern Girl | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates