Peanut Butter and Pretzel Truffles
Recipe Adapted from Brown Eyed Baker
- 1 1/4 cup crushed pretzels
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- A pinch of salt
- 3 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1 cup of Wilton chocolate candy melts or semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon vegetable shortening (I used a hi-ratio shortening because that's what I had on hand)
- 1/4 cup peanut butter, melted
- In a small bowl, combine the peanut butter, butter, brown sugar, and salt. Stir until all ingredients are blended well.
- Add the pretzel pieces to the the peanut butter mixture and mix until well blended.
- Slowly add powdered sugar to peanut butter mixture and mix well.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment or waxed paper.
- Using a small cookie scoop, scoop the peanut butter mixture and then roll into balls.
- Place peanut butter and pretzel balls into the refrigerator for 30 minutes or until the truffles are firm.
- When the truffles are firm, prepare the chocolate for dipping. Melt the chocolate and vegetable shortening at 30 second intervals until completely melted. Depending on the power of your microwave, you may want to melt the chocolate at half-power so you don't burn it.
- Working one at a time, dip the truffles into the melted chocolate and use a fork to roll the truffle around to make sure the truffle is completely covered.
- Let any excess chocolate run off the truffle (I like to use a plastic fork and gently tap it on the side of my bowl to get the excess chocolate off) and then transfer the truffle to the parchment or waxed paper.
- Repeat with all the truffles.
- Return the truffles to the refrigerator to chill for another 30 minutes to help the truffles finish setting up.
- Melt the extra peanut butter in a pastry or ziploc bag and pipe designs on top of the truffles. Top the truffles with a small piece of pretzel or some pretzel crumbs.
- Store in the refrigerator in an airtight container.
Meal Planning Magic to see how to join the party!