One of my resolutions this year is to try new things with my food. My husband doesn't always agree with my resolution, especially regarding dinner but I can experiment with breakfast and desserts!
I was looking over our dinner calendar and realized that we recycle meals about every two weeks. Hmm, is it like that for most couples/families? I added one new recipe to our dinner menu this month and hopefully with these scones, I can add a new breakfast item besides eggs and cereal. Geez for a food blogger, I am in a routine rut. :) I hope in the next coming weeks I can share more of my attempted new foods. Well first, there is this guy I need to convince...
These scones are sweet and flaky and I can see using the base recipe and adding cheddar, chive, and milk to make a savory version. Wonder what the husband would think of that? ;)
Of course I need to get better at dividing the dough but hey, for a first time I don't think I did too bad. :)
Chocolate Chip Scones
Recipe Adapted from All Recipes
- 1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled and cubed
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 9 tablespoons orange juice
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Prepare a cookie sheet with either parchment paper, silpat, or spray with non-stick spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- With a pastry cutter, cut the butter into the flour mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs.
- Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Mix in the orange juice to form a dough.
- Turn the dough out on a floured surface.
- Roll or pat out the dough to about a 9 inch circle.
- Cut the dough into 9 -12 slices, separating the dough a little bit as you cut.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until golden brown.
- Move to a wire rack to cool.