Thursday, January 31, 2013

English Royalty Chocolate Chip Scones

One of my resolutions this year is to try new things with my food. My husband doesn't always agree with my resolution, especially regarding dinner but I can experiment with breakfast and desserts! 

I was looking over our dinner calendar and realized that we recycle meals about every two weeks. Hmm, is it like that for most couples/families? I added one new recipe to our dinner menu this month and hopefully with these scones, I can add a new breakfast item besides eggs and cereal. Geez for a food blogger, I am in a routine rut. :) I hope in the next coming weeks I can share more of my attempted new foods. Well first, there is this guy I need to convince...

These scones are sweet and flaky and I can see using the base recipe and adding cheddar, chive, and milk to make a savory version. Wonder what the husband would think of that? ;) 

Of course I need to get better at dividing the dough but hey, for a first time I don't think I did too bad. :)



Chocolate Chip Scones
Recipe Adapted from All Recipes
Ingredients:
  • 1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
  • 1/3 cup granulated sugar
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled and cubed
  • 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
  • 9 tablespoons orange juice

Directions:
  • Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Prepare a cookie sheet with either parchment paper, silpat, or spray with non-stick spray.
  • In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
  • With a pastry cutter, cut the butter into the flour mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs.
  • Stir in the chocolate chips.
  • Mix in the orange juice to form a dough.
  • Turn the dough out on a floured surface.
  • Roll or pat out the dough to about a 9 inch circle. 
  • Cut the dough into 9 -12 slices, separating the dough a little bit as you cut.
  • Bake for 15-20 minutes until golden brown.
  • Move to a wire rack to cool.
Enjoy, I know I did!
 

Midwestern Girl | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates