The blueberries in the jiffy mix left a lot to desire and I can tell you that these muffins do NOT. The fresh blueberries make these muffins. They are juicy and tender and the pockets of blueberries are plentiful throughout the batter. The batter is very thick and you should be careful not to overmix - lumpy and thick batter is what you are aiming for here. I thought about adding sugar on top of the muffins before putting them in the oven but I'm glad I didn't. They are the perfect amount of sweetness already.
Recipe adapted from Brown Eyed Baker
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 4 tablespoons (2 ounces) unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
- 1 cup sour cream
- 6 tablespoons milk
- 1½ cups frozen or fresh blueberries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Fill a 12 cake muffin tin with cupcake liners.
- Whisk flour, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the egg until it is light-colored, about 20 seconds or so.
- Add in the sugar and whisk until the mixture becomes thick, this should take about 30 seconds or so.
- Add the melted and cooled butter in 3 additions, whisking after each addition.
- Add the sour cream in a couple of additions, mixing just to combine.
- Add the blueberries to the dry ingredients and toss to combine. This prevents the batter from turning purple.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and fold with a spatula until the batter comes together and the berries are evenly distributed.
- The batter will be very thick and flour might not be completely incorporated but that's okay. Make sure you do not overmix.
- Using a large cookie scoop sprayed with a non-stick cooking spray, divide the batter among the muffin cups.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until the muffins are light golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes clean.
- Immediately remove the muffins from the pan to a wire rack and let cool for at least 5 minutes.
- Serve immediately or at room temperature.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container at room temperature.